- Falls are one of the most common causes of workplace injuries and deaths. In 2015, the Bureau of Labor Statistics indicate slips, trips, and falls accounted for 309,060 nonfatal injuries and 800 fatal work injuries. Falls from ladders accounted for 20% of all fatal falls. OSHA regulates ladder use in all general industry workplaces under Subpart D, "Walking-Working Surfaces."
- This program is designed to help learners understand OSHA ladder requirements. Specifically, it will cover the potential hazards and protective measures you can take while working with ladders to help prevent injuries.
After completing Ladder Safety for General Industry training program, learners will be able to:
- Recognize potential hazards related to ladders
- Identify types of ladders and their main components
- Describe safety measures to take when using ladders
- English & Spanish available all in one program
- Ready-to-use training program includes several components
- Closed-captioned for the hearing impaired
20-Minute Video - Combines engaging video and editing technology with expertise from industry professionals at all levels.
Trainer Guide (not sold separately) - Provides you with background information and training tips to make the most of each training session.
Trainer Tools CD (not sold separately) - Includes PowerPoint® presentation that can be used as is or customized, along with learning activities, quiz (w/ answer key), images, training certificate and a training log.
Employee Handbooks (English) - Product Code: 50524 - Provide a portable, plain-English reference to be used during and after training. Review key points and includes quizzes to check employees' understanding of the material.
Employee Handbook (Spanish) - Product Code: 50523 - Provide a portable, Spanish reference to be used during and after training. Review key points and includes quizzes to check employees' understanding of the material.
Wallet Card Sheet (English) - Product Code: 50519 - Use to verify that your employees have received training. Sheet of 10 cards.
Wallet Card Sheet (Spanish) - Product Code: 50518 - Use to verify that your employees have received training. Sheet of 10 cards.
Awareness Poster (English) - Product Code: TBD - 17x22". Hang in a break room or training area to remind employees about the importance of the topic.
Awareness Poster (Spanish) - Product Code: TBD - 17x22". Hang in a break room or training area to remind employees about the importance of the topic.
Ladder Inspection Checklist Plastic Tag - Product Code: TBD
Do Not Use This Ladder Plastic Tag- Product Code: TBD
Play Program - Plays entire main program (30 minutes)\.
Chapter Selections -Allows easy access to specific subtopics for more focused training.
- Potential Hazards
- Unsafe Environment (where the equipment is good and the user does everything right but the environment itself creates a hazard)
- User Error (where the environment is safe and the equipment checks out but the user does something that is unsafe)
- Unsafe Equipment (where the user does everything right and the environment is safe but the equipment itself creates a hazard).
Types of Ladders
- Portable Ladders (step/straight/combination/extension portable ladders designs and requirements)
- Mobile Ladder Platforms & Stands (design and requirements (including fall protection))
- Fixed Ladders (side-step/through fixed ladder designs and requirements (including fall protection))
Using Ladders Safely
- Choosing the Right Ladder (consider the maximum intended load, the height that needs to be reached, and the environment/conditions where the ladder will be used)
- Inspecting a Ladder (how often is it required, what to look for)
- Climbing a Ladder (set it up properly, face the ladder, use three points of contact, don't carry anything that could cause a loss of balance, use it only for its intended purposes)
- Storing a Ladder (store them in designated areas)
- Ladder Maintenance (tag damaged ladders as "do not use" and remove from service, don't paint or varnish a ladder)
Conclusion - Emphasizes the need to preparing yourself and your vehicle for a safe drive in rural areas.
- Note to Trainer Video
- Quiz - 10 interactive questions; offers correct/incorrect remediation to reinforce effectiveness of training.